Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Service Learning Reflection for 5/15 session

Last week was a good service learning session. We compared eachothers data from our walks in our neighborhoods. It's great that our group is so spead out across the city geographically. We have people from North Philly, South Philly, Southwest, Northeast, Northwest, and Center City. I can't believe I am already almost done the school year. Throughout the serive learning meetings, I had become very frustrated because I did not see where my group was going with what we were doing. After asking Ms. Thomas this, she gave me a much more understandable explanation. I now know the objective of the group much more clearly. What we are dong is simply educating others on recycling, and coming up with a proposal for a recycling system. We will do this by using facts, figures, and data we find. Through service learning, I have learned the following about the issue of recycling and trash. I've leanred many people either do not care about recycling, or are not educated on the benefits of recycling. I have also learned about many materials that can be recycled that I had no clue could be before I started my research. These include but are not limited to phones, sports equipment, tennis shoes, toothbrushes, razors, ink cartridges, eyeglasses, clothes, and even batteries. My values have defenetly changed through service learning. To be honest, I used to litter all the time, not caring of my actions. I also used to not taking my mother seriosuly when she would tell me to recycle or what to put in the recycling can. After being educated more on recycling, I have a broadened appreciation for why my mom wanted me to do that. I also have more of a desire for a cleaner city after walking around my neighborhood the past few weeks.

No comments: